Betho

"And in the end the love we make is equal to the love we take" The Beatles

Friday, May 26, 2006

'Satisfied Mind'

I've been reading a report on consumerism in Australia (sent to me from the lovely Karin) and it tells me that nearly two-thirds of Australians say that they do not have enough money to buy what they really need. The report describes how many Australians have a warped perception of basic needs; 'When almost half of the richest households believe they cannot pay for their needs, the idea of what is 'needed' is confused with what is 'wanted'.

The report describes that while 56% of Australians believe they spend almost all their income on basic necessities;
- Expenditure on imported consumer goods rose by 60% between 2000 & 2004.
-Australians spend about $10.5 billion on goods we do not use: food and drink; appliances; exercise equipment; memberships (in 2004, Australians spent about $500m on gym memberships that were never or hardly used).

How did our priorities get so out of whack? How did my priorities get so out of whack? The problem with buying 'stuff' is that no matter how much you get, you still want more! (Apparantly that's what the marketing companies bank on.) Yet its easy to get lured in.

If Jesus says that it's harder for a rich man to get into heaven then why do so many of us that call ourselves Christians desire to be wealthy? Some of us have very good reasons to want to be wealthy (i've heard many say how they want to have more, so they can give more away), but why are we not more cautious of the warning of Jesus about the pitfalls of wealth?

Did you know that sociological studies have shown that there is no difference between the happiness of someone who has enough money to live on with a few added luxuries, compared to somone who is incredibly wealthy?

Consumerism is something that i struggle with (my love for clothes doesn't help this!). In our society shopping is a leisure acitivity(have you seen how many people go to the shops on the weekends?) and i must admit that i do enjoy shopping too. But where is the line of excess?

I guess my prayer is that in the midst of our consumer society, that i may develop the ability to live simply. I'll leave you with some wise words sung by Jeff Buckely;

Satisfied Mind ------Jeff Buckley(J.Hayes/J.Rhodes)

How many times have you heard someone say,
"If I had money, I would do things my way."
But little they know, that it's so hard to find
one rich man in ten, with a satisfied mind.

Money can't buy back all your youth when you're old,
a friend when you're lonely, or peace to your soul.
The wealthiest person, is a pauper at times
compared to the man with a satisfied mind.

When my life is over and my time has run out,
my friends and my loved ones, I will leave there's no doubt.
But one thing's for certain, when it comes my time,
I'll leave this old world with a satisfied mind.
But one thing's for certain, when it comes my time,
I'll leave this old world with a satisfied mind mind mind, mind mind,satisfied mind.

2 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Lebatron said...

Yes, very often NEED & WANT are confused.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger fee said...

right on lady!
i have been thinking about me and my materialistic self recently. well, in particular since moving to regent. i haven't bought a sinlge piece of clothing in the last six weeks, or anything else realy. i have been comparing my life now to that of my life at home, and while i never would have considered my life in box hill to be materialistic, compared to where i am right now i think it so was. and you know what, i am just as happy! i still do have desires to go shopping, but somehow it just doesn't seem as important right now. and hopefully it will stay that way! (as sad as that makes me feel). love you heaps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home