Betho

"And in the end the love we make is equal to the love we take" The Beatles

Monday, May 29, 2006

"Game on mole!'


Ok just a quick one but did anyone watch Big Brother last night? What was the deal with Gretel's defensive and (i thought) quite aggressive response to Michael? For anyone that didn't see it, Michael brought up how big brother had edited an interaction between himself and David and presented it in a way that basically apppeared as if there could have been a pash between the two men. Gretel's response was massively defensive, basically shutting him down as if he was making massive unjust allegations against Big Brother. Now i didn't like what I saw of Michael's time in the house, but in this instance i would totally come to his defense. The scene between him and David was totally presented in a way to get viewers thinking that there had been some sort of sexual interaction.
The fact is, that there is no such thing as 'Reality TV'(sorry to break it to you kids). As Michael said, there is editing (clips shown without the whole context of a situation), but even aside from that, certain camera angles etc are used to portray people in a certain light. So Miss Gretel, don't go and get high and mighty on me when someone questions the validity of your 'reality'show. The fact is that your show is no more 'real' than Krystal's breasts!

4 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Another Footy Fans Blog said...

Beth. I don't watch BB, but was in the kitchen when Sharon had that bit on. Not knowing what came before it makes it hard for me to be sure, but I basically said the same thing to Sharon. Gretel lost all credibility and her professionalism (if she had any) went down the toilet.

She appeared to get defensive at the use of the term edit, almost as though he was suggesting they 'changed' what the viewers saw. This is crap - editing is so often just about what they leave out. She was way off base, and if I was the producer I'd let her go for that childish outburst. She was rude, she interrupted him, and he had every right to tell her to let him finish.

Back years ago in the first series, there was a newspaper article about how BB had hired a number of soap writers to help ensure that they way they presented the show to the audiences was entertaining, controversial etc. This is ALL done by editing. They have almost complete power to portray the housemates in any light they wish, and it, more than anything else makes the show a load of crap. There is nothing real about it. We see what they make us see. So I'm with you. Regardless of his behaviour in the house (which I have no idea about) his claim remains valid - and her response was entirely NOT what a presenter should do.

She should do herself a favour and leave the public eye before she embarasses herself any further...

Nath

________________________________

Find me at nathyoung.blogspot.com

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this isn't a comment on your BB thing, but I just searched my own name and up came you. My name is Beth Eastwood, I live in Adelaide, and I am 25, an Aries, next year I am going to be doing middle and secondary teaching, and I am engaged...! Aren't coincidences great! (My nickname is Bethie though!)

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

big brother is just a load of crap and gretel is ridiculous. i don't understand how you can watch it! tell me, what do you find so interesting about the show?

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Betho said...

I never said it was top quality viewing. But i do find it interesting watching people that have very little in common build relationships with each other. I guess i think it shows that it is possible to be friends with the most unlikely people!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home