Betho

"And in the end the love we make is equal to the love we take" The Beatles

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I don't wish i was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair


Okay there's a song thats playing on the radio called 'I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair'. Have you heard it? Its quite a catchy song it goes ...

'Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
In '77 and '69 revolution was in the air
I was born too late into a world that doesn't care
Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair

When the head of state didn't play guitar
Not everybody drove a car
When music really mattered and when radio was king
When accountants didn't have control
And the media couldn't buy your soul
And computers were still scary and we didn't know everything'

....okay thats just a snippet, if you want the rest of the lyrics then google it yourself. Anyway although i do quite enjoy the music of this song, the lyrics actually irritate me a bit. The words seem to be along the 'the world is becoming a terrible place and we should be afraid of it' mentality. Now i admit that there is a lot of bad stuff happening in the world and yes there are some scarey things about living in 2006 but i don't think our response should be only one of fear.
Two points-
1. There has always been evil in the world and therefore there has always been scarey stuff happening. I'm sure that people living in '77 and '69 when 'revolution was in the air' probably wished that they lived in an easier time.-Its all relative!
2. If we think that the world is becoming a bad place then what are we going to do about it?

This is my main issue here. We cannot complain about how terrible the world is without accepting some sort of responsiblity for it. So if there's stuff thats happening that we don't like, then what are we going to do about it? I refuse to accept that i am a helpless consumer in society- I can be a producer as well!.

1 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Another Footy Fans Blog said...

And isn't it funny how the flower power generation led from free love to widespread STD's, and nations of children, brought up on the 'treat them like little adults' principal that is now proven to do children a grave disservice in their development.

Still, it's a catchy song, and sometimes songs prefer to just make it all sound so easy...

I still think of the 'good old days' when I was in Uni, but if I think through carefully about everything going on then I'd probably reconsider that thought. Maybe Sandi should too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home