Betho

"And in the end the love we make is equal to the love we take" The Beatles

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's still a man's world

I am coming to the end of my primary education uni course. This means that i now have the somewhat daunting task of applying for jobs. This might be a long process and i am told that about 70 percent of grads obtain positions. I may have to apply for numerous jobs, i may have to attend numerous interviews. While faced with this task i have observed that if i in fact were a male, this process would most likely be a lot easier.

It seems that most of my male friends have already been offered jobs from their rounds that they have been on. While i must aknowledge that i am sure that they are, and will be fantastic teachers, i am some what jacked off at the fact that it seems that because they are male, obtaining a teaching position is a heck of a lot easier.

Whilst i aknowledge that there are a lack of male teachers in schools, and i also aknowledge that boys need male role models, i question the immediate assumption that because someone is male, that makes them the best teacher for the job. I also question the fact that in most situations women do not even have a chance to apply for these jobs as they are often not even advertised.

I am not a feminist, but there are some inequalities that exist between the experiences of men and women in the workpalce that really jack me off.

For example-
-Although more and more women are entering the paid workforce at a greater rate than ever, they are still bearing the majority of domestic and childrearing duties

-Not only are women working twice as hard but their work in the professional workforce is not receiving equal salaries to men

-Although women are competing for better jobs and careers than ever, men still tend to move into the higher paying jobs in each occupation

I am not a feminist (Matt seems to acuse me of being a bra burner everytime i get a bit fiesty about womens rights!), i just believe in equality between men and women. And from what i see, we still have a way to go before that is achieved.

On that note i'd like to welcome myself back to the blogging community. I'm sorry that its been so long since i last blogged, lifes busy blah blah blah, but i'm back and will endeavour to start posting again!

Until next time,

Beth 'I don't burn my Bras' Eastwood

5 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to have you back Betho! I just went to your site as I often do and was pleasantly suprised see a new blog.
As for the topic, I think the biggest thing couting for me in getting the job I did was that I am a male. My workplace is very much female dominated. There certainly is a need for more male teachers, youth workers etc. It would be a tough one to balance the needs of the kids with the need of people like yourself to get a job. You're probably entering teaching at a time when male teachers are all the rage. But anyway, I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding a job. You would have to be in the top 70%! So good luck! And if all else fails, there's always surgery!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Wendy G said...

I'm glad to see you back too, and such a great post for your 'welcome back'. I still get a little cheesed by the whole inequality thing. What scares me a little is that I still see little snippets of inequality for my children who are primary students. Why is it that some teachers are so much happier for the boys in the class to have loud, forthright opinions but somehow less acceptable for my daughter? Yuck.

I bet you'll get a job Beth - I'd be delighted for you to be teaching my kids!

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Betho said...

Thanks for your encouragement Brad and Wendy.

Brad my issue is nothing to do with my or other female student teachers 'need to get a job'. My issue is that because someone is a male it is assumed that they will be the best person for the job rather than looking at who will be the best teacher (regardless of their sex). Does that make sense?

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger fee said...

oh betho. i am glad you are back too! i have missed your blogs. i completely understand the whole male/female teacher thing. it's a hard thing to balance the right person/right gender for the job. it's not always going to be fair. and it sucks. and i am sure that you would be better than some of those males out there who have already been offered positions. it's lucky that we know that there in someone in control out there who has a beautiful plan for your life and has the right position for you somewhere??? just stay close to Him and He will open doors for you. i will be praying for you - i hate interviews with a passion. they suck. love your blogs.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Betho.
I'm starting a new blog! It begins on Monday 28th August. It will not replace the current one but will be different. Make sure you check it out...and a link would be nice too..
Click here

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home